[webkit-dev] On the greeness of the GTK+ bot

Dimitri Glazkov dglazkov at chromium.org
Mon Nov 16 09:47:54 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Xan Lopez <xan at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 05:24 -0800, Adam Barth wrote:
>>> Eric and I are working on a bot that might help this situation.
>>> Essentially, the bot will try out patches on Qt and GTK and add a
>>> comment to the bug if the patch regresses the build.  Our plan is to
>>> start with compiling, but we'd eventually like to run the tests as
>>> well.
>>
>> That sounds like an awesome idea. Thanks for working on it. Build
>> breakages themselves have become less of an issue for us in recent times
>> - people are definitely more aware of our bots, and are acting on fixing
>> them when they break.
>>
>> I think such an automated approach to running the build, and tests for
>> upcoming patches will surely help with giving this a second step
>> forward.
>
> This is nice to see, but as Gustavo says build breakage is not too
> much an issue at the moment for us: the build does not break very
> often, and when it does people usually take the time to figure out
> what happened and either do fix it themselves or poke us about it.
> That being said, this could be improved in any number of ways and I'm
> happy to see it getting ever better.
>
> What is effectively a black hole with respect to our time is the tests
> breakage, though. We get new tests failing very regularly (either
> through new tests or through new code making old tests fail), and once
> the bots are red people tend to pay even less attention to them, so
> they spiral out of control in a positive feedback loop until we have
> tests failing in the double digits in a matter of days (or hours!). Of
> course in an ideal world we'd have a team big enough to always have at
> least one person looking at this and fixing the problems the moment
> they arise, but unfortunately this is not the case.

This is a huge issue with the Chromium port as well. We spend quite a
bit of effort tracking down failing tests, only to discover that the
failure is due to one-port baselines or new functionality added to
DRT. I wonder if the approach we have today in regards to tests is not
sustainable with multiple vibrant ports, each spending way to much
time catching up.

:DG<