[webkit-dev] Staging WebSocket protocol deployment

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Fri Nov 13 18:01:02 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
>>
>> By using webkit-ws/webkit-wss we're giving ourselves some wiggle-room until
>> we're sure we're happy with the protocol.
>
> Not really. It just means that we might end up stuck with "webkit-ws:"
> instead of "ws:".

Does the IETF WG have a timeline?  My understanding is that IETF WG
take at least a year to do anything.  Even the timeline for the cookie
WG is a year, and we're just speccing widely implemented behavior.  I
don't think we want to be stuck with webkit-ws forever.

Another possibility is x-ws, implying that it's experimental.
Honestly, if IETF going to break the protocol, they might as well use
a new scheme, like websocket or hybi.

This discussion reminds me of
<http://diveintomark.org/archives/2009/11/02/why-do-we-have-an-img-element>.

Adam