[webkit-dev] Staging WebSocket protocol deployment

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Fri Nov 13 15:49:12 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
> >
> > I'm not very familiar with the IETF's efforts, but my understanding is
> > that they were creating a competing protocol.  Are they in fact creating
> > something that they want to submit as a replacement to WebSockets?  If
> > so, why is WebSockets moving to last call?
>
> The IETF is just a bunch of open mailing lists, there's no "they" that
> doesn't include us.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my word choice.  I'm actually on one of the lists,
though I obviously don't follow it too closely.  :-)

 The WebSocket protocol is pretty stable at this point. I doubt it will
> change much. The recent IETF meeting indicated that most people agree that
> we want something like WebSockets, and it has already received several
> years of public review.
>
> I wouldn't worry about changing the schemes or anything like that; if the
> protocol _does_ change in non-backwards-compatible ways, then we'll just
> change the protocol to not step on this code.

Just to be clear, you're saying that it's fairly unlikely that it's going to
change in a backwards compatible way?

I ask because there's not much time left to make such decisions before it
goes into Chrome 4 without the "webkit-" prefix.  And once that ship sails,
there's not much of a point to adding it.