[webkit-dev] SharedWorkers alternate design

John Abd-El-Malek jam at google.com
Wed May 27 15:37:04 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 26, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
>>

>>> Did you say partly because it's more complicated than just splitting one
>>> class (and only having 1-way sync communication)?  If so, then we're still
>>> on the same page, because that's what I'll be doing as well.  I was just
>>> using the StorageBackend as an example, but events will require signals from
>>> the backend to the frontend, and some abstractions (like StorageArea) make a
>>> lot of sense whether or not things are split into two pieces, which sounds a
>>> lot like what you described with ResourceHandle.
>>>

>> As a side note - I think it would be cool if we used more specific names
>> than "Backend" and "Frontened" in the actual code, since which end is front
>> and back is not always obvious nor always agreed upon by all observers. I
>> like Proxy and Impl ok as name pairs, not sure if that's the same
>> relationship you have in mind.
>

> I somewhat disagree regarding the terms frontend and backend being
> confusing.  It seems to me that the backend is always further away from the
> user than the frontend.  Same thing with client and server.  That said, I've
> definitely heard complaints about terms like this before (on other
> projects), so I'm not married to the terms.
>
> The names I was planning to use were outlined in a design doc I sent to
> this list (http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhs4g97m_8cwths74m).  Basically,
> I was planning to the term Backend, but the rest of the names are more
> descriptive.  If you have another suggestion for Backend, I'd be happy to
> change it.  I would have already, but the only other idea I had was server,
> and I think people find that term even more confusing.  StorageRepository
> might be an ok name.
>
> As for Impl and Proxy, they are actually somewhat orthogonal to the
> frontend and backend.  For example, if a script calls
> window.localStorage.setItem(foo, bar), the frontend in the render process
> will access the backend proxy which will send the message to the browser
> process where the backend implementation lives.  The backend implementation
> will then access the EventManagerProxy which will distribute the events to
> the EventManagerImpl in all the render processes.  In other words, Proxies
> are necessary anywhere messages originate.

Just as a data point: Chrome uses Proxy/Impl naming for a variety of classes
(i.e. WebWorkerProxy/WebWorkerImpl,
WebWorkerClientProxy/WebWorkerClientImpl, WebPluginProxy/WebPluginImpl,
WebPluginDelegateProxy/WebPluginDelegateImpl).  The code is also moving to X
and XClient for the two-way API for feature X.  If possible, it would be
good to match these names for the sake of consistency.

How about:

StorageImpl (lives in the process that opens the database)
StorageProxy (in multi-process browser, lives in the renderer process and
notifies above)

StorageClientImpl (receives event that value changed)
StorageClientProxy (in multi-process browser, lives in the browser process
and notifies above)