[webkit-dev] Sharing code between WebCore/bindings/js and WebCore/bindings/v8

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Wed May 27 11:47:29 PDT 2009

I've been doing some work recently in our JavaScript bindings.  As
part of this work, I've noticed that WebCore/bindings/js and
WebCore/bindings/v8 have drifted apart in some details.  It's kind of
ridiculous that we have so much duplicated code in these two folders.
We should try to re-organize our bindings to share as much code as
possible.

1) Where should the common code live?  One option is to have:

WebCore/bindings/js  <--- common code
WebCore/bindings/jsc  <--- JSC specific
WebCore/bindings/v8  <--- V8 specific

2) How much should we try to share?  For example, we could have an
abstracted notion of ArgList that works for both engines, or we could
be happy to factor out common routines like createWindow
<http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/bindings/js/JSDOMWindowCustom.cpp#L285>.

I presume Sam is a good contact for the JSC bindings.  Who's a good
contact for the V8 bindings?

Thanks,
Adam