[webkit-dev] Notifications API

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Wed May 27 09:22:02 PDT 2009

Sam, I think you are right here. I'm convinced that applications should be
specific about what permissions they are asking for.

I also believe that from a UX standpoint, we will probably want to provide
the user with a single dialog that enumerates the permissions being granted,
although a given user-agent may want to do this differently. We certainly
want to enable both models.

So I'd like to propose an API like the following (cribbed from the Android
permissions manifest):

int getTrusted(permissionName)  - returns 0 if the application is
blocked/unsupported (user said "no" or user-agent does not support it), 1 if
it is untrusted (no permissions grant yet), 2 if it is trusted

void requestTrust(permissionArray, callback)

This provides a couple of important things:

1) granularity, so an application can specify exactly what permissions it
wants
2) flexibility for the user agent - the application asks for a block of
permissions at once (for example, a given feature like background
notifications may require two permissions: persistent workers and
notifications). The user agent has the flexibility to decide whether to
display this as one dialog enumerating permissions, two separate dialogs, a
dialog which allows the user to pick and choose which permissions it wants
to grant, etc.

What do you think?

-atw