[webkit-dev] SharedWorkers alternate design

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Tue May 26 17:21:13 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Sam Weinig <sam.weinig at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> The common case is definitely that we know whether we want the proxy (for
>> IPC) or the implementation at compile time.  In some cases (like Chromium)
>> this is not known until initialization time.
>

>  What do you mean by "initialization time"?  Is it the case that you know
> which one you want at each call site?  Or do literally want to make a
> runtime choice based on state?

Well, I meant that we always want one or the other based on if the process
is being used as a render process (i.e. sandboxed, running WebKit but with
all DOM Storage calls proxied) or a browser process (i.e. running only
selected parts of WebCore like the DOM Storage backend/implementation).

Come to think of it (IIRC) all calls to the StorageBackend within the
WebCore code should go through a proxy for Chromium.  The proxy will then
call into Chromium's webkit bridge/glue, which will pass the message through
the IPC layer, which will call back into bridge/glue code, which will be
interacting with the real implementation.

If that's true, then the implementation could be very explicitly split into
2 (with frontend code calling backend proxy code and vice versa) and single
process implementations could simply typedef _____Proxy to _____Impl (or
Implementation, or Base, or whatever you want to call it).

....or have I completely confused myself?