[webkit-dev] SharedWorkers alternate design

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue May 26 10:21:39 PDT 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Drew Wilson wrote:

> OK, I've got two strong votes for the interface + static factory
> approach. Any objections from the rest of the WebKit team? If I
> don't hear any counter proposals, I'll do that.

I think it's unpleasant to pay run-time cost for a compile-time
choice. Sure, sometimes the extra cost is no big deal, but sometimes
it can be a big deal and I see no reason to choose idioms that use
virtual functions if there are equally good or better ones that don't.

Are there really no better techniques than abstract base classes and
virtual functions for this sort of compile-time switch? How about the
technique used for ResourceRequest and ResourceResponse? Maybe Darin
Fisher can explain that one.

     -- Darin