[webkit-dev] Proposal for a new way to handle porting #ifdefs

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon May 25 15:16:15 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Mark Rowe <mrowe at apple.com> wrote:

> Xcode and GCC on Mac OS X avoid this issue by building a map of header
> files in the project and their locations on disk, so the compiler doesn't
> have to walk the header entire search path every time you include a file.
>  It's unfortunate if other compilers aren't smart enough to work well with
> this incredibly common approach to #includes and header search paths.

FWIW, it's also clearer -- seeing at a glance to Foo.h is from
WebCore/platform versus WebCore/page is good information (and no one has
every single header's origin and meaning in their heads).

Increased clarity, fewer errors/conflicts, and a giant speedup on some
compilers seem worth the (IMO minor) cost of having to do a
search-and-replace when moving headers around.

I didn't really mean to derail the existing discussion, though.  This isn't
really the same topic.

PK