[webkit-dev] Review Queue

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Thu May 21 21:36:40 PDT 2009

> Our current defacto policy requires involvement on both sides.
> Submitters need to be involved in finding people to review their
> patches.  Posting patches to the review queue does not automatically
> get you a review, except occasionally by Darin Adler or myself.
>
> If a bug totally stalls, and is sitting in the review queue untouched
> I view that as the responsible reviewers' implicit rejection of the
> patch.  I, as a responsible reviewer, am simply making explicit that
> implicit rejection.  Personally, I'd rather get an r- on my patches
> than have them sit ignored for multiple weeks at a time.

Let's examine these statements in a broader light, substituting "bug
database" for "review queue" and "bug" for "patch":

Our current defacto policy requires involvement on both sides.
Submitters need to be involved in finding people to fix their bugs.
Filing bugs to the bug database does not automatically get you a fix,
except occasionally by Darin Adler or myself.

If a bug totally stalls, and is sitting in the bug database untouched,
I view that as the responsible reviewers' implicit rejection of the
bug. I, as a responsible reviewer, am simply making explicit that
implicit rejection. Personally, I'd rather get a "closed" on my bugs
than have them sit ignored for multiple weeks at a time.

So, Eric, should we close all bugs that are older than 2 weeks?

Geoff