[webkit-dev] Bus Error on AtomicString.cpp

Zongheng Zhou zongheng.zhou at gmail.com
Tue May 19 11:37:59 PDT 2009

Hello,

I am using QT webkit on solaris. When I try to run the example program
"previewer", I got a core dump on bus error. It happend on
AtomicString.cpp::equal() function. It turns out the 'characters' argument
passed in is not aligned by 4-byte. The code here try to speed up by
reinterpret_cast it to uint32_t, and do the comparision. As a result, the
program crashes with a bus error.

This 'characters' argument is passed from the 'characters' member of a
CSSParserString object. It's UChar *, so not necessary to be aligned by
4-byte.

My question is, where does the alignment happen that guarantee 'characters'
is aligned by 4-byte? I know it must happen at somewhere, but just can't
find it. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.