[webkit-dev] Dump render tree of webkit

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Thu May 14 09:27:32 PDT 2009

Hi Meryl,

On May 14, 2009, at 9:08 AM, Meryl Silverburgh wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Ariya Hidayat
> <ariya.hidayat at trolltech.com> wrote:
>>
>>> layer at (0,0) size 800x600
>>>   RenderView at (0,0) size 800x600
>>> layer at (0,0) size 800x600
>>>   RenderBlock {HTML} at (0,0) size 800x600
>>>     RenderBody {BODY} at (8,8) size 784x584
>>
>> This the render tree. Or did you mean something else?
>>

> Thanks. But I was trying it with http://www.cnn.com, it has more than
> just a BODY tag, so I am not sure why it does not show the rest, which
> is what I care about.

The first line of the output gives you the reason. It says: "Blocked
access to external URL http://www.cnn.com/" The render tree you see is
most likely that of a blank page used after it couldn't load cnn.com.

It looks like DRT currently doesn't offer a way to disable that
blocking, though it could probably be added with some hacking. Looks
like the block is happening inside WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/mac/
ResourceLoadDelegate.mm.

Regards,

Kevin