[webkit-dev] MessagePorts and garbage collection

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu May 7 11:25:11 PDT 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 6:41 PM, Drew Wilson wrote:

> Following up. I think I have my head around how Worker GC is
> happening (I may start another thread about that, as it looks like
> there's some cases where the thread won't be shut down, but the
> general design is sound).
>
> MessagePort GC is a little trickier, because we need to detect when
> both sides have no external references, based on this part of the
> HTML5 spec:
> [...] a message port can be received, given an event listener, and
> then forgotten, and so long as that event listener could receive a
> message, the channel will be maintained.
>
> Of course, if this was to occur on both sides of the channel, then
> both ports would be garbage collected, since they would not be
> reachable from live code, despite having a strong reference to each
> other.
>
> From looking at the code in bindings/js, it looks like I've got two
> tools to manage object reachability:
>
> 1) I can tell when my object is reachable (during a GC) because
> mark() will be invoked on it.
> 2) I can force my object to stay active (as long as the owning
> context is active) by making it an ActiveDOMObject and returning
> true from hasPendingActivity() (which seems like it does nothing but
> invoke mark() on the object).
>
> So, #2 lets me keep an object alive, but to implement the spec, I
> need to be able to detect when my object has no more references,
> without actually having it get garbage collected. If I can do that,
> then I can build my own distributed state mechanism to allow me to
> determine when it's safe to GC the objects.
>
> I'm looking through the JSC::Collector code, and I didn't see
> anything that did exactly what I want, but there are probably some
> things that we could do with protect() to enable this. Has anyone
> else had to do anything like what I describe above? It's not exactly
> even a multi-thread issue, as it seems like this problem would occur
> even with just a single thread.

It is specifically a multi-thread issue, because with a single thread
and single heap both MessagePorts could just mark() each other - if
they have no other references, they will be collected anyway because
GC will happily collect an unreferenced cycle.

It's only the separate per-thread heaps that make it challenging,
since GC may occur at different times and on separate heaps, so the
two MessagePorts have to protect each other in a persistent way until
both become unreachable.

The best way I can think of to handle this is to have a special phase
after normal marking where objects with an external/cross-thread
reference get marked in a distinctive way. Then each MessagePort would
know if it was marked solely due to its opposite endpoint being live.
I don't recall if there is a way for an unreachable MessagePort to
become reachable - I think yes, because the message event listener can
stuff the MessagePort in a global variable. But I think an unerachable
port can only become reachable by receiving a message. Thus, you need
a core data structure for the MessageChannel which detects the case
that there are no messages pending in either direct and both endpoints
are alive only due to the other endpoint. Something like that. This is
a very rough design sketch, Alexey can probably explain in more detail
or I can study the code.

My impression is that Workers use a similar scheme with a special
additional marking phase, or once did, but Alexey will recall better
than I.

  - Maciej