[webkit-dev] setting a size limit for Application Cache

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Wed May 6 13:57:37 PDT 2009

2009/5/6 Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org>

> 06.05.2009, в 23:09, Michael Nordman написал(а):
>
>  There is no means for the system to distinguish between these two
>> cases. There is no API to indicate which use is which.
>>

> The first use case (just speeding things up) sounds like something that
> should be handled by a normal HTTP cache, as defined in RFC 2616. Is it
> inadequate? If it is, maybe it should be improved instead of making an
> additional entirely different caching mechanism?

The advantage AppCaches have vs normal caches is that they're explicitly
versioned by the developer.  If I have a big, complex application that has
many files, I can specify it all in the AppCache manifest to make it go
faster (not check each file for a newer version)--even if I'm not going to
make it work offline.  How many developers will want to use it this way?
 Hard to say, but probably not too many.

So maybe there should be no "implicit" use of AppCache...at least at first?
 Or am I missing some non-offline use-cases here?