[webkit-dev] setting a size limit for Application Cache

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Wed May 6 13:12:24 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at google.com> wrote:
> Good point.  Tying the apps together is pretty important.  What good is it
> for the program to still be in AppCache if it's data (in databases or
> localStorage) was deleted by some other LRU policy?
> I'm not sure that yet another manifest is needed though.  For databases and
> localStorage, access is controlled via the origin.  It seems to me that the
> minimum granularity for what gets pinned is thus the domain.

Assuming app == domain has proven problematic. Not only are there
multiple apps per domain, there are apps that span multiple domains.

> Yes, there can be multiple web applications per domain, but there's really
> no way for WebKit to know which localStorage entries or which databases are
> tied to each application.  Thus, eviction is an all or nothing thing for the
> origin.  This is not such a horrible thing though; authors can always create
> sub-domains for each web application.

"sub-domains for each web application" has proven to be easier said than done

> So, in summary: I'm proposing that there be a UI to pin (or install, or
> save, or whatever you want to call it) an origin + have a dialog for seeing
> all the origins that are pined (for uninstall purposes).  All non-pinned
> AppCache data would be removed in a LRU fashion.

Some thing the system needs is a 'trigger' to bring up such a UI. The
presence of a <html application='someurl'> attribute, in which the
descriptor file expresses it desire for the 'persistance' privilege,
could provide such a trigger.