[webkit-dev] Proposal for a new way to handle porting #ifdefs

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue May 5 08:19:33 PDT 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 5:21 AM, Mario Bensi wrote:

> We pursued the same goal for a couple of years. Since our porting
> targets are various middleware & CE platforms, we had to identify and
> adapt WebKit needs at a better grained level than platform.
> In order to do this we collected all dependencies in a Browser
> Abstraction Layer (BAL directory). The configuration is handled by a
> Base directory (definition of types, platform specifications) and we
> use CMake to define platform specificities (and it's a great cross-
> platform tool).
>
> Sure the BAL model has still improvements ahead of it, but it has the
> merit of existing, being widely tester on a quite wide range of
> targets, configurations and libraries.

My understanding is that BAL injects a platform abstration layer under
the platform abstraction layer that is the "WebCore/platform"
directory. Also, I gather that BAL tries to do more things via runtime
indirection and subclasses with virtual methods instead of WebCore's
compile-time approach. To me, those aspects sound like they may not be
good fits for our goals. But I would be glad to hear more details
about BAL, and how it would compare to my proposal.

Regards,
Maciej