[webkit-dev] Problem with building WebKit

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Fri May 1 04:50:44 PDT 2009

Hi Seby-

On May 1, 2009, at 2:30 AM, Seby wrote:

> I'm trying to build WebKit using XP, Cygwin, MS VC++ 2005 Express
> Edn as specified the webkit.org with out any luck. Could you please
> give me some insight to correct it.
>
> I see the BuildFailed along with the log <WebKitBuild>\obj\WebKit
> \Release\BuildLog.htm which i've attached. Here is the snapshot of
> the error which i see:
>
> Output Window
>
> Performing Pre-Build Event...
> Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 1 returned from 'c:\WINDOWS
> \system32\cmd.exe'.
> Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were
> not found:
> $(PRODUCTION)
> Results
>
> Build log was saved at "file://E:\Build\obj\WebKit\Release\BuildLog.htm
> "
> WebKit - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

This "Error result 1 returned from 'c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'."
message in the pre-build event usually indicates that a project that
builds before this one failed. Here's the order in which the projects
in WebKit.sln build:

1. JavaScriptCoreGenerated
2. WTF
3. JavaScriptCore
4. WebCoreGenerated
5. QTMovieWin
6. WebCore
7. InterfacesGenerated
8. Interfaces
9. WebKitGUID
10. WebKit
11. FindSafari
12. testapi
13. jsc
14. WinLauncher
15. TestNetscapePlugin
16. ImageDiff
17. DumpRenderTree

You should look at the build logs for the projects that build before
WebKit and find the first one that has an error.

-Adam