[webkit-dev] Extending JS context for all WebFrames

Ross Lillie ross.lillie at motorola.com
Thu Mar 12 15:13:08 PDT 2009

I've been digging into extending the Javascript context associated with a
Webview, however I'm not sure that that public JS core APIs accomplish what
I want to achieve.

Ideally, I would like to extend the JS global object with my external (C++)
library routines so that any time a new WebView is allocated/init'd, its
underlying JS GlobalObject contains my external objects and properties.

While I can grab the JSGlobalContext reference from a WebView's mainFrame,
and subsequently use the public JS APIs to extend the underlying JS global
object, I believe that subsequent WebView allocations will cause the
underlying JSGlobalObject to be reinitialized forcing me to 're-extend' the
object using the public APIs.

First, is my understanding of the relation between a WebFrame and its
underlying JSGlobalContext (and hence the associated global object) correct?
An, if so, I'm assuming that I'll some how need to manipulate the
JSGlobalObject directly.

My understanding of the overall webkit organization is still pretty
rudimentary, so I've likely missed something.

Thoughts?

Ross Lillie