[webkit-dev] Plug in support on DirectFB Webkit

Sriram Neelakandan sriram.neelakandan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:09:46 PST 2009

> I have built Webkit in order to get rid of X11  calls.

This is fine

> Tried to replace the X11 API  with GDK calls.

If  you need true DFB support  this will not work. (X11 != GDK, but X11 == DFB)
As per "https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference/Drawing_and_Event_Handling"
the "void * window"  should be directly mapped to DFB surface or sub-surface.
Then it would work great for even Window-ed and window-less plugins.

More over all browser plugins today are written for X11 / Win32 / Mac
and not for GTK / QT / WxWindows / Skia

So going the DFB way is the right step forward.. and you can hope to
get your code inside Webkit some day.

> But it fails when there is conversion from GtkXtBin to GtkSocket

No GTK if you want true DFB support. The XtBin is basically a X11 bridge

> And one more thing I found  gdk_window_add_filter()'s call back
> function is not getting called in my plug in library.
>
> I doubt its because, the plug in window creation may be a problem.
>

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Sriram Neelakandan
> <sriram.neelakandan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, what u need is a build time flag, which should first get rid of
>> all X11 headers.
>> Then you end up having to define or mapping the missing structure /
>> defines in npruntime,h & npapi.h to appropriate DFB equivalents
>>
>> Now, after that, you will get stuck with gtk_socket_new .. a well
>> known issue with DFB windowing which is currently not implemented in
>> the gtk/dfb backend.
>>
>> I remember some how the mozilla guys managed to get DFB SWFDEC player
>> plugin working.. wonder how ?
>> I think mostly they rendered the plugin on a different Window !
>>
>> I heard that gtk_socket_new may get fixed in DFB-2.0.. untill then DFB
>> plugins will have to wait !
>> Not sure if there is a better way to render DFB plugins on to
>> Webframe/view 's surface directly !
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Rick <graham.rick at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Having just looked up DirectFB on Wikipedia, I see it is an interface
>>> that skips X and talks directly to the framebuffer.
>>>
>>> There is mention of an API called XDirectFB that mimics X11 calls.
>>> You might look for that.

>>> --
>>> Cheers!
>>> Rick