[webkit-dev] Plug in support on DirectFB Webkit

Sriram Neelakandan sriram.neelakandan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:30:45 PST 2009

Well, what u need is a build time flag, which should first get rid of
all X11 headers.
Then you end up having to define or mapping the missing structure /
defines in npruntime,h & npapi.h to appropriate DFB equivalents

Now, after that, you will get stuck with gtk_socket_new .. a well
known issue with DFB windowing which is currently not implemented in
the gtk/dfb backend.

I remember some how the mozilla guys managed to get DFB SWFDEC player
plugin working.. wonder how ?
I think mostly they rendered the plugin on a different Window !

I heard that gtk_socket_new may get fixed in DFB-2.0.. untill then DFB
plugins will have to wait !
Not sure if there is a better way to render DFB plugins on to
Webframe/view 's surface directly !

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Rick <graham.rick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having just looked up DirectFB on Wikipedia, I see it is an interface
> that skips X and talks directly to the framebuffer.
>
> There is mention of an API called XDirectFB that mimics X11 calls.
> You might look for that.
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Ariya Hidayat
> <ariya.hidayat at trolltech.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running Webkit on DirectFB.
>>> AFAIK, plug in support is not there on DirectFB/Webkit.
>>> I found in WebCore/plugin calls are all Xt/X11 based.
>>> Can any one suggest me , how can I modify these call for DirectFB ?
>>
>> DirectFB is a complete different beast, compared to X11. AFAICS you have to
>> implement the whole plugin infrastructure for that.
>>

> --
> Cheers!
> Rick

Sriram Neelakandan
Author - Embedded Linux System Design And Development
(http://tinyurl.com/2doosu)