[webkit-dev] Webkit/GTK+ - Disabling Text Highlighting/Selection

Adam Biglow adam.biglow at techsol.ca
Tue Jun 30 17:01:44 PDT 2009

Hello!

I made a browser that is using Webkit through its GTK port. However I am
having a hard time finding any documentation dealing with the internals
components of Webkit. The issue I am trying to solve is to essentially
disable text highlighting/selection. The reason for this is the device the
browser will run on has touchscreen and we were hoping to make it similar to
Apple's Safari running on the iPhone or Google's Android. Both prevent the
user from highlighting text and instead allows user to scrolling using the
drag technique while still allowing them to click links. As for touch
scrolling that will be something to be considered once we have the
highlighting disabled.

I am hoping someone can just point me in the right direction like where do
all the click event go through and is this a GTK problem or something you
can be solved in the WebCore? I have found several click callback in the
WebCore/page folder. Anyway this seems like this is a problem that should
already have been solved however as I said I couldn't find much on it. I
have just downloaded the source code for Android's browser and version of
webkit and I will look into that soon.

I was thinking during a "click" event, I would immediately fire off a fake
"release" event to Gtk and webkit in an attempt to make gtk and webkit think
that the user has only clicked the mouse not dragged it.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Adam