[webkit-dev] How to add Maxthon's port.

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Jun 29 12:59:30 PDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Mark Rowe wrote:

> On 2009-06-29, at 02:05, Johnny Ding wrote:
>
>> It will be better to send out detail explanation/design doc before
>> sending patches if the changes are big:)
>
> Since when has writing a design document been part of the process of
> contributing to WebKit?

We don't require design documents, but they do seem helpful sometimes
for architecture changes or new features.

I think for a new port it would not be very helpful. What would help
is breaking down the patch into small pieces, as others have
mentioned. Also helpful: split completely port-specific code in new
files from changes to core cross-platform code, as separate patches.

Another useful thing to do when adding a new port is to set up a
buildbot. This step tends to be more useful once the basic code is in
place.

Regards,
Maciej