[webkit-dev] WebKit zooming behavior

Javed Rabbani jrabbani at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 10:15:15 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I was trying to zoom a web page (text + images) through WebKit API:
frame->setZoomFactor(). The call forces WebKit to recalculate the page
layout and send repaints to the application via Chrome Client. What I have
noticed is that zooming takes considerable time and that effect becomes more
evident running on an embedded platform. The number of repaint calls that
are routed to the application through Chrome Client are far more than for
the case when the page is displayed without zooming.

As a result, from the user point of view, the zooming operation takes
considerable time that is proportional to the content length of the page
being displayed. For instance if *BBC mobile* is displayed, the page is
zoomed quickly from zoom factor of 1.0 to 1.2. However, for *edition.cnn.com
*, it takes quite a few seconds to complete and there are far more repaint
calls sent to the application. Is this the normal behavior? Is there a way
to get this done in a much quicker way, even for sites with more content?
Any suggestion in this regard will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Javed