[webkit-dev] New approach for DOM attributes that reflect content attributes

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Jun 21 23:15:08 PDT 2009

On Jun 21, 2009, at 11:08 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:

> I think this is great!
>
> I'm a bit confused by this though:
>
> This indicates that the src DOM attribute reflects a content attribute
> named src, but that the result is a completed URL, not the raw
> attribute value:
>
>   attribute [ReflectURL] DOMString src;
>
> Why a special case for absolute URL conversions?
> Should we have a more generic [ReflectFitler=completeURL] syntax?
> Do we have enough url-values where this special attribute makes sense
> or should src() just be a small wrapper around getAttribute("src")
> which knows how to make it absolute?

URL attributes resolving against the document base is a fairly common
case of modified reflected attributes, yes. Many elements have href or
src attributes that behave this way. I am not sure if there are other
common cases that fix up the value on reading relative to the actual
content attribute value.

  - Maciej