[webkit-dev] Simplified ruby design document

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Jun 16 20:30:41 PDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Roland Steiner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After the feedback on my previous design document on ruby text
> annotations and the reservations that were expressed, I prepared a
> new, scaled-back version. I'd greatly appreciate if you could
> provide further feedback:
>
> http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcgd8hk6_2g7c6zzc6
>
> Note: implementation of the features outlined in the proposal is
> already basically finished (mainly needs further testing and
> cleaning up), but can of course be amended if necessary.

I'm not really an expert in this area but it looks good to me.

One comment:

    (do I need to add JavaScriptCore bindings as well, in order to
land implementation?)

In general, yes, implementations of HTML elements should come with
JavaScriptCore bindings. Otherwise, any tests of the bindings that you
added wouldn't pass for most WebKit ports, and that would make the
buildbot sad.

In this case, though, I don't think the relevant elements have any
element-specific DOM APIs, so nothing is really needed besides IDL
files with empty interfaces that inherit from HTMLElement, plus adding
the IDL files to the relevant build systems.

Regards,
Maciej