[webkit-dev] about webkit's license in chrome

David Jones dsave at 163.com
Sun Jun 14 06:42:01 PDT 2009

I carefully checked most of head license declaration per src file, and I think the reason of webkit is under 3 licenses simutaneously is due to webkit project's history.

The early KHTML,KJS developers of KDE used LGPL2, after Apple got webkit project, Apple's engineers used BSD license while retained the old LGPL2.
And now, some webkit commiters who don't work in Apple commit their codes with LGPL2.1.

Right?

The license is assigned on a per-file basis and can be found at the top of the file.

2009/6/12 David Jones <dsave at 163.com>

well, is there a doc about that?
or, could you describe it more detailedly ? I want to know which part is under BSD, LGPL and so on.
I don't find a license illustration in webkit's src.

>On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:44:25PM -0700, Peter Kasting wrote:
>> 2009/6/11 David Jones <dsave at 163.com>
>>
>> > As listed in http://code.google.com/chromium/terms.html#3rdparty ,
>> > there're three different licenses of webkit in chrome:

>> > BSD <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php>/LGPL 2/LGPL 21<http://opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.php>

>> > Why?
>> >

>> For the same reason the Mozilla code lists three licenses: because the code
>> is tri-licensed.  It is offered simultaneously under three different
>> licenses.
>
>Technically, that is not true. While (most of) Mozilla code is
>effectively tri-licensed, i.e released under the terms of the three
>licences, WebKit code is partly licensed under each one, i.e. parts are
>under 2-clause BSD, parts under 3-clause BSD, and parts under LGPL 2 or
>2.1.
>
>Mike

网易全新推出企业邮箱