[webkit-dev] arm jit

Toshiyasu Morita tm_webkit at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 10 14:20:25 PDT 2009

--- On Wed, 6/10/09, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> I doubt that eager compilation would be a good strategy
for the web, though,

> since web pages tend to load very large libraries
of functions, while only calling a

> small percentage of those functions.

Turbo C compiled about 10,000 lines of source code per second on an
ancient 12 Mhz PC AT. It does register allocation, common subexpression
elimination, and a bunch of other classical compiler optimizations.

Most modern processors are from about 200 Mhz to about 3 Ghz, which is
significantly faster than a PC AT. If you use simple linear
extrapolation, that's a compile speed of about 160k-2m lines per
second. That seems adequate to compile even fairly large libraries of
functions.

Toshi