[webkit-dev] to reitveld or not to reitveld

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Fri Jun 5 22:50:56 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Darren VanBuren <onekopaka at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that using RPC is inefficient, and that we don't want to make the
> review process any more of a pain. We could also try writing our own code
> review software specifically designed to work with Bugzilla, so that we
> could run directly in the Bugzilla environment, and we could modify and
> retrieve bugs without throwing stuff around RPC channels, just by running
> some calls in the Bugzilla modules.

FWIW, in Chromium land we do all the patches *solely* on Rietveld, and never
touch the bug tracker at all with them.  We have tools that auto-update bugs
when patches are checked in and can provide handy links back and forth
between the tools, and that's enough.  I'm not a WebKit reviewer but I was a
Mozilla reviewer, which also does things on Bugzilla, and I don't miss the
ability to post a patch on a bug at all.  There is literally nothing in that
workflow that helps me review/land patches more easily, and it's still just
as easy to backtrack after the fact and find what got reviewed/landed
starting from a bug.  So if people who wanted to use Rietveld to do code
review didn't have obvious ways to attach those patches to Bugzilla bugs,
I'm not sure it would be a big stumbling block.  (Right now it's about 10x
easier for me to get a Chromium patch reviewed than a WebKit one just
because a single shell command can create a Rietveld issue with my patch and
set the description up for me.)

PK