[webkit-dev] Ruby design document

Roland Steiner rolandsteiner at google.com
Wed Jun 3 18:30:45 PDT 2009

Hi Dave,

thanks for the feedback! To answer some of the questions you raised:

.) There certainly is a demand for this feature in Japan, China, and other
countries. The only browser that natively supports ruby currently is IE, so
I would assume most of the pages that use ruby today are written at least
with IE in mind. Therefore, the base line would be compatibility with that,
which boils down to implementing the HTML5 spec.

There are also apparently still be some pages left that adhere to a very
early ruby draft (http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-ruby-19990322/), but I'm not
sure it's worth extra work to try to support that (haven't looked at that in
great detail yet).

.) IE (at least IE8) honors 'float' and 'position' on ruby elements, and
also 'display:block' works as expected.

.) Multiple runs within a single <ruby> element are rendered correctly in IE
(which I would suppose is the original reason for their inclusion in HTML5).
IE also line-breaks those runs.

Cheers,

Roland