[webkit-dev] SharedWorkers alternate design

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Mon Jun 1 07:12:25 PDT 2009

22.05.2009, в 3:20, Drew Wilson написал(а):

> SharedWorkers have explicit access to the ApplicationCache APIs,
> while dedicated Workers merely inherit the ApplicationCache from
> their parent window.

What is the use case for this? It doesn't seem useful to me - to
invoke update explicitly, one normally needs to have UI anyway, at
which point it's much easier to call update() directly from a page.

A tangentially related question: what will happen to a SharedWorker
whose cache got updated? Will the repository use a new source for new
instances, while the old ones will continue to run? Looks like there
is a significant potential for mistakes here, as scripts won't
normally expect several instances of the same SharedWorker to be active.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov