[webkit-dev] question about javascript bindings

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Fri Jul 31 04:19:15 PDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 3:05 AM, lin ma wrote:

> I'm a beginner to WebKit domain(linux qt platform). I'm try to
> understand how to port another JavaScript Engine to webKit as chrome
> did.
> Now I'm confused by the code of webcore/binding/js,  I found the
> function defined in webcore/bindings/js/*Custom*.cpp never be used
> when debugging the webkit using a html page with javascript code,
> So it's hard to me to understand this part.
>
> Anyone can give me some helps? Any documents or background knowledge
> are a precondition to learn this part.

WebKit is not intended to support multiple JS engines, and you should
not try.  JavaScriptCore is the JS engine that is included in WebKit,
there is no real reason to use any other engine and attempting to
attach your own JS engine will result in a huge amount of both short
and long term effort on your part for no gain.

--Oliver