[webkit-dev] freeing static variables

Zoltan Herczeg zherczeg at inf.u-szeged.hu
Wed Jul 29 01:05:10 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Valgrind reports a lot of memory leaks when QtLauncher quits, because many
static local variables are not freed. I did a little research and realized
there is no consistent way to define static variables in webkit:

WebCore/css/CSSSelector.cpp: CSSSelector::extractPseudoType()
   using a DEFINE_STATIC_LOCAL() macro

WebCore/bindings/js/JSDOMWindowBase.cpp:
JSDOMWindowBase::commonJSGlobalData()
   static JSGlobalData* globalData;

WebCore/platform/qt/CursorQt.cpp:
   Cursors* Cursors::s_self = 0; (no static keyword)

I belive it would be a good thing to define a template for static
variables, which can (optionally) free static variables (enabled in debug
mode, but sometimes it would be good to enable it in release mode as well)

And I am wondering whether it would be worth to free (some) static
variables if they are used in a given time period. This may help to reduce
the memory consumption in the long run. This would be an optional feature,
an extra flag (or timeout value) for the template, which can be enabled or
disabled at compile time. If disabled, the value of this flag is not used
at all.

Regards
Zoltan