[webkit-dev] document()->frame()->script()->globalObject()

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Jul 24 13:18:15 PDT 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Adam Barth wrote:

> Do you have specific areas you're concerned about that we can be on
> the lookout for?

I tried to think this through, but only had a few minutes free:

A minor concern is that Frame has a constellation of helper classes to
help keep it simple, including ScriptController, but Document does
not, so this change will add more non-“model” things to the Document
header, muddying our architecture.

There are dormant documents that are in the back/forward cache, and
it’s important that we not do more work in these. At the moment, it’s
possible that the fact that frame() is 0 is how certain operations are
disabled in such things.

The same type of issue could apply to documents that are not in the
back/forward cache, and no longer in the frame, but still alive for
some reason.

Creation and teardown seem like the trickiest areas. The timing of
creation of the global object vs. the document might end up being
different than today.

The timing issues are likely to be different per-platform because of
the excessive complexity of the FrameLoaderClient, so we would want to
make the changes in small steps with a lot of testing.

     -- Darin