[webkit-dev] Setting event handlers on the global context

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Sun Jul 19 09:29:12 PDT 2009

I was writing a new worker unit test and I noticed that all of our unit
tests set event handlers in worker global context like so:
onmessage = function(event) { ... do something ... };

I note that Firefox also allows setting event handlers like this:

function onmessage(event) { ... do something ... };

In WebKit, the latter form creates a function at global scope named
"onmessage" but does not set it as an event handler.

I'm trying to figure out what the correct behavior should be - I've asked
IanH, and his response was that he dimly recalls that both forms should be
valid "(through a convoluted argument that I forget right now, but which
should be examined carefully by whoever implements this, and which requires
careful examination of at least the ECMAScript spec and maybe also the
WebIDL and HTML5 specs)" - basically, he wasn't entirely certain and thought
I should check here and with the Mozilla devs to get your opinions.

Anyone familiar enough with the various specs to make a definitive argument
one way or the other?

-atw