[webkit-dev] Building WebKit with Visual Studio 2008

Salisbury, Mark mark.salisbury at hp.com
Thu Jul 16 15:52:45 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have Visual Studio 2008 installed and I'd like to compile WebKit without downgrading to Visual Studio 2005.  I've fixed a few problems along the way which I would like to get checked back into trunk at some point.  Now I'm getting a link error I can get past:

fatal error C1047: The object or library file 'D:\webkit\webkit.org\WebKitLibraries\win\lib\WebKitSystemInterface.lib' was created with an older compiler than other objects; rebuild old objects and libraries

I think I'm getting this error because I'm compiling with VS 2008, and WebKitSystemInterface.lib was compiled with VS 2005.  I tried turning off whole program optimization (/LTCG), but then it failed with this error:  "...module compiled with /GL found; restarting link with /LTCG; "

I checked and WebKitSystemInterface.lib is a versioned object; I don't believe the source code to it is part of the webkit trunk.  I see that adachan at apple.com, sfalken at apple.com, and mitz at apple.com are the last three SVN users to have checked it in, so at least they have the source code.

Here are my questions:

1)  Is anyone else compiling WebKit with VS 2008?

2)  Why isn't the source code for WebKitLibraries\win\lib\WebKitSystemInterface.lib part of the source tree?  It seems like such a small part of the rest of the webkit / win code.  Could the source code to this lib become part of the webkit open source tree?  If not, can someone at Apple rebuild it for me with VS 2008?  Maybe we could have both versions checked in?  Any other ideas?

3)  Assuming I get this working, any volunteers to review my changes and help me get this back to trunk?

Thanks,

Mark Salisbury