[webkit-dev] Build File Maintenance (was Re: Please welcome GYP to the our dysfunctional build family)

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon Jul 13 14:03:52 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> One belated comment on this topic. It would be neat if some port agreed to
> be the guinea pig to see if gyp could plausibly work for more than Google's
> ports. The Wx port probably has the lowest resources of any complete port in
> the tree, so they might not be the best choice of experimental subject,
> particularly if for them the process required writing a new gyp back end and
> if they are not yet entirely comfortable going the gyp route.

Another note, based on some #chromium conversations: if someone passionate
made CMake (or any other tool) into something compelling enough to work
better for Chromium than gyp does (or at least to work close-to-as-well),
and that tool was more plausible for other ports in the WK tree to adopt, we
wouldn't be opposed in principle to using it.  The potential benefits of a
shared build system are clear, and we're not trying to tell people that
system has to be gyp; we're just probably not prepared to be the ones to go
determine other ports' needs and decide on the Build System To Rule Them
All.

If no one wants to do this, but other ports do want to try gyp, we can lend
them a hand in checking it out too.  Whatever makes things at least a little
easier.

PK