[webkit-dev] ExecState::thisObject()

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Mon Jul 13 13:36:24 PDT 2009

>> I'm first fixing JSCell::new subclasses to make sure they're always
>> allocating in the correct heap.  If we're to map from objects to the
>> associated globalobject via the heap, we need to fix allocation
>> first.

I'm not sure what you guys have been meaning by the phrase "correct
heap." Barring workers, all WebCore objects are allocated from the
same heap.

>> I'm wondering if I should instead be changing ExecState to carry a
>> "current global object" member (the global object which carries the
>> heap that objects should be allocated in, and prototypes should be
>> looked up from.  This is different from either the lexical or global
>> objects).  That would require fixing many callsites, but probably
>> fewer than my current approach.

If you want to pass an argument indicating where something should be
allocated, I don't think ExecState is the right place to do it.
ExecState is a read-only pointer into the calling function's stack. It
can answer questions about the calling function's state, but that's it.

Geoff