[webkit-dev] Please welcome GYP to the our dysfunctional build family

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon Jul 13 12:28:36 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Mark Mentovai <mark at chromium.org> wrote:

> We also considered CMake, and had it demonstrably working for some of
> our smaller projects as well.

BTW, Mark's list of issues with CMake is non-exhaustive (we can share more
if desired), but we're not trying to slag CMake - it's a good tool in a lot
of ways, it just didn't happen to be the right fit for us.

So perhaps the takeaway other ports should have from all this is not that
we're selling GYP as the be-all, end-all build tool for everyone, we're
simply noting that since it's in the tree and we're maintaining it, if other
people want to make use of it too, they'd be welcome if it fits their needs
the way it fits ours.

PK