[webkit-dev] ENABLE_FORM_VALIDATION

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Mon Jul 13 11:40:34 PDT 2009

On Jul 13, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:47 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:
> I agree.  We should formalize this as policy too in my opinion.
> Maybe something time-based, e.g., if you have an implementation of a
> new Web technology that is going to take > (1month?) to implement,
> then the feature should be landed inside ENABLE ifdefs (that can
> then be removed when the feature is sufficiently far along).
>
> For Chromium this kind of time frame can be problematic, since
> there's pretty much no guarantee of when a WebKit trunk build could
> be shipped as (eventually) a stable Chromium/Google Chrome release.
> Even having an incomplete feature in the tree a few days can result
> in the incomplete feature getting shipped to web authors.

The way to ship "ToT" (in my opinion) is to cut a branch, watch ToT
for any regressions from recent work, merge those fixes into the
branch, and then turn off anything that is "in-progress" on the
branch.  Expecting ToT to actually be shippable all the time is not
very practical.  Realistically people will always be causing
occasional regressions from bug fixes and feature work.  Branches are
the way to stabilize from some known point.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)