[webkit-dev] XSSAuditor regressions

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Jul 12 14:44:53 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Recently Adam Barth turned on an exciting new feature, the XSS
Auditor, by default. This provides a browser-side defense against
sites that are vulnerable to reflexive XSS attacks. Because this
feature operates by blocking script execution, it has the potential to
break legitimate sites via overzealous enforcement. I'd like to ask
everyone to be on the lookout for these. If a site fails mysteriously,
especially if it's a regression, check the Web Inspector console for a
message like "Refused to execute a JavaScript script. Source code of
script found within request."

I made a new keyword, XSSAuditor, and bugs tagged with XSSAuditor and
Regression can be assumed to be fallout from the change. You can see
the current known regressions with this query: <http://tinyurl.com/mw4j3y
 >. So far, there are two, but they are pretty major (Facebook and
Outlook Web Access).

Hopefully we can quickly flush out and fix a lot of these false
positive results, but if the bugs start piling up, it may be wise to
turn the feature off by default until the initial crop of regressions
is dealt with, so the nightlies remain usable for testing. (I don't
think we're at that point yet and Adam seems to be on top of the
incoming bugs.)

Regards,
Maciej