[webkit-dev] Please welcome GYP to the our dysfunctional build family

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 09:28:05 PDT 2009

Hi,

I asked some similar questions on IRC.

On Jul 12, 2009, at 7:42 AM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:

> From a quick glance at cmake's website, it seems that it's a build
> system and not a project file generator.  I think it was pretty
> important to us to generate project files so that you can use the
> full power of each platform's IDE and toolchain.

You might want to take a closer look! ;)

CMake generates the desired build environment. So, on Windows it
generates visual studio projects, on Mac OS it generates Xcode
projects, and on Linux it generates Makefiles.

You can override this behavior to get some other target.

It can also drive the entire build, but that's not how a lot of people
use it.

So Cmake seems equivalent to GYP. GYP probably has unique features
that make it more desireable than Cmake for one reason or another
(perhaps it's easier to add new platform support or something), but at
the moment those benefits are not obvious to me.

I'm afraid that as far as I can tell, GYP seems like a case of NIH
syndrome.

-Brent