[webkit-dev] Iterating SunSpider

Mike Belshe mike at belshe.com
Tue Jul 7 16:01:23 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Mike Belshe wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:
>
>>  So, what you end up with is after a couple of years, the slowest test in
>>> the suite is the most significant part of the score.  Further, I'll predict
>>> that the slowest test will most likely be the least relevant test, because
>>> the truly important parts of JS engines were already optimized.  This has
>>> happened with Sunspider 0.9 - the regex portions of the test became the
>>> dominant factor, even though they were not nearly as prominent in the real
>>> world as they were in the benchmark.  This leads to implementors optimizing
>>> for the benchmark - and that is not what we want to encourage.
>>>

>> How did you determine that regex performance is "not nearly as prominent
>> in the real world?"
>>

> For a while regex was 20-30% of the benchmark on most browsers even though
> it didn't consume 20-30% of the time that browsers spent inside javascript.
>
> You're right, but you're ignoring that for a long time before then it was
> consuming much much less.  If everything else gets faster then the
> proportion of time spent in the area that is not improved will increase,
> potentially by quite a lot.

Ok.

> On the topic of use in the real world -- jQuery at least runs a regex over
> the result of most (all?) XHR transactions to see if they might be xml, and
> jquery seems to be increasingly widely used, and frequently in conjunction
> with XHR.

Ok.

> What you seem to think is better would be to repeatedly update sunspider
> everytime that something gets faster, ignoring entirely that the value in
> sunspider is precisely that it has not changed.

Not quite what I'm saying :-)

I'd like benchmarks to:
    a) have meaning even as browsers change over time
    b) evolve.  as new areas of JS (or whatever) become important, the
benchmark should have facilities to include that.

Fair?  Good? Bad?

> If we see one section of the test taking dramatically longer than another
> then we can assume that we have not been paying enough attention to
> performance in that area, this is how we originally noticed just how slow
> the regex engine was.  If we had been continually rebalancing the test over
> and over again we would not have noticed this or other areas where
> performance could be (and has) improved.  It would also break sunspider as a
> means for tracking and/or preventing performance regressions.

Of course, using old versions of the benchmark for regression testing is not
prohibited by iterating a benchmark.

Mike