[webkit-dev] Iterating SunSpider

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Jul 6 11:59:51 PDT 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 10:11 AM, Geoffrey Garen wrote:

>> So, what you end up with is after a couple of years, the slowest
>> test in the suite is the most significant part of the score.
>> Further, I'll predict that the slowest test will most likely be the
>> least relevant test, because the truly important parts of JS
>> engines were already optimized.  This has happened with Sunspider
>> 0.9 - the regex portions of the test became the dominant factor,
>> even though they were not nearly as prominent in the real world as
>> they were in the benchmark.  This leads to implementors optimizing
>> for the benchmark - and that is not what we want to encourage.
>
> How did you determine that regex performance is "not nearly as
> prominent in the real world?"

For reference: in current JavaScriptCore, the one regexp-centric test
is about 4.6% of the score by time. 3 of the string tests also spend
their time in regexps, however, I think those are among the tests that
most closely resemble what Web sites do. I believe the situation is
roughly similar in other competitive JavaScript engines. This is
probably not exactly proportionate but it doesn't dominate the test. I
don't think any of this is a problem, unless one thinks the regexp
improvements in Nitro, V8 and TraceMonkey were a waste of resources.

What I have seen happen is that numeric processing and especially
integer math became a smaller and smaller proportion of the test,
looking at the best publicly available engines over time. I think that
turned out to be the case because math had much more room for
optimization in naive implementations than, say, string processing.

Regards,
Maciej