[webkit-dev] Git Familiarity (was ChangeLog)

Justin Haygood jhaygood at reaktix.com
Sun Jul 5 22:22:26 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Meyer" <ben at meyerhome.net>
To: "WebKit Development" <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Git Familiarity (was ChangeLog)

> At least on Windows I use mysygit myself
> (http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/ )  From the project description:
> "Historically, Git on Windows was  only officially supported using Cygwin.
> To help make a native Windows  version, this project was started, based on
> the fork."

Still has the following problems:
1. No Windows integrated UI. Windows is very UI driven, and all of the
development tools are UI based. Why should I open up a command line to do
VCS stuff? I don't have to open up a command line now.

2. No Visual Studio integration. Subversion not only has TortoiseSVN, but
there's AnkhSVN that lets you manage it entirely inside Visual Studio.

I'd vote against any VCS that doesn't match features provided by Subversion
on all 3 platforms (Mac, Linux, and Windows). *nix devs might think opening
up a command line to do some development is fine, but Windows devs aren't
nearly as willing. Why, when all of the functionality is available from a
UI? I can't think of any major feature of Subversion that isn't available
from TortoiseSVN.