[webkit-dev] Iterating SunSpider

Joe Mason joe.mason at torchmobile.com
Sun Jul 5 09:58:13 PDT 2009

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I think the pauses were large in an attempt to get stable, repeatable
> results, but are probably longer than necessary to achieve this. I agree
> with you that the artifacts in "balanced" power mode are a problem. Do
> you know what timer thresholds avoid the effect? I think this would be a
> reasonable "1.0" kind of change.

Just a gut feeling, but I suspect the exact throttling algorithm would
vary too much from machine to machine and OS version to OS version to
ever find a good threshold to avoid it.  The best thing to do would be
to have the harness turn off CPU throttling when it starts.  (This is
possible from the commandline under Linux, and I assume in Mac, but
Windows might be a problem.)

Joe