[webkit-dev] Inheritance in IDL files/JS bindings

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sat Jul 4 15:02:06 PDT 2009

On Jul 4, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Drew Wilson wrote:

> 1) I don't ever actually want a raw JSAbstractWorker to be created -
> is there a way to disable the toJS() generation? It looks like maybe
> CustomToJS might've let me do this, but it still defines toJS() in
> the AbstractWorker.h file. I'd rather have this generate a compile
> error than have incorrect behavior at runtime.

I think the right way to handle this is to make a custom toJS function
that does a runtime check of the actual type, and makes the right kind
of wrapper object. That's because any time you deal with an
AbstractWorker pointer, you want toJS on it to return the canonical
wrapper of the right concrete class. The toJS function for Node is a
fairly elaborate example of this.

> 2) What does GenerateNativeConverter do? I note that both Node and
> Element.idl define GenerateToJS, but none of their derived classes
> (HTMLElement.idl, HTMLOptionElement.idl) define GenerateToJS, which
> makes me think that just defining GenerateToJS on derived classes is
> not the correct fix.

Correct - see above. toJS needs to do a dynamic check based on the
runtime type, not a static check based on the declared type. We don't
ever want to vend an "Element" wrapper for something that actually
should be an "HTMLDivElement", even if it got returned from a context
that deals with generic elements.

> I don't know how useful the diff would be, but I uploaded one here -
> it's not ready for review yet as it has lots of odd debugging
> flotsam in it: https://bugs.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=32257&action=review

It sounds like you're on the right track to figuring this out. I
believe writing a custom toJS for AbstractWorker which checks what
kind of object it actually has will fix your problem.

Regards,
Maciej