[webkit-dev] ChangeLog

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Jul 3 14:26:09 PDT 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Joe Mason wrote:

>> I like a discipline that results in good comments about changes,
>> and ones that are present even outside the source code control
>> system. I often quickly find information about changes made long
>> ago by searching change logs and doing even simple searches using
>> the other tools available are difficult. For one thing most of them
>> are client-server tools while ChangeLog is entirely local.
>
> Switching to a vcs that has local workspaces (like git) will take
> care of this worry, and have many other benefits besides.
>
> Even if sticking with svn, you just need to run svn2cl once when you
> update to get a local copy of the changelog.

I'm not sure why making an extra copy of the info on update is better
than doing it on checkin. People update their tree more often than
they commit, so prima facie this seems like a backwards way to do it.
Also, svn2cl is much slower than a one-time copy of the latest entry
from the ChangeLog to the source control commit log, or from the
commit log to the ChangeLog. So overall it seems much cheaper to have
the copying happen at commit time.

Regards,
Maciej