[webkit-dev] Isolated world tests

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Wed Jul 1 16:53:32 PDT 2009

Hi webkit-dev,

I'm working on a security feature so that Chromium extensions can run
their content scripts in an "isolated world" separate from the main
page's JavaScript objects.  I'm about to start writing a bunch of
tests for the feature, and I'd like some advice about where to put the
tests.  Some candidate places are:

1) LayoutTests/http/tests/security/isolatedWorld
2) LayoutTests/platform/chromium/http/tests/security/isolatedWorld
3) Somewhere in the chromium.org source tree

Most (all?) of the implementation work will take place in
WebCore/bindings/v8.  The tests will rely on a magical
layoutTestController function with a name like
"evaluateInIsolatedWorld."  The feature isn't specific to Chromium in
the sense that one could imagine implementing the same thing in the
JSC bindings if a JSC port wanted to support these kinds of
extensions, but it's not completely general either in the sense that
it's not currently part of the web platform.

I slightly prefer option (1), but I'll defer to consensus opinion.

Thanks!
Adam