[webkit-dev] SquirrelFish in WebKitGtk

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Wed Jan 7 08:30:24 PST 2009

> Is there a way to find out what JavaScript engine WebKit is using?
> I have WebKit-r38068 and i'm using the GTK port.
> How can i know if my WebKit is using SquirrelFish or the old JS
> Engine?

The old AST engine was removed in June when we switch to the original
SquirrelFish, so you can't not have SF now :D
Likewise once SquirrelFish Extreme was landed it became non-optional.
It is possible you won't get the JIT as
that's architecture dependent, but if you're on x86-32 you should be
fine.

On Jan 7, 2009, at 5:41 AM, Iulian wrote:

> Ok. If SquirrelFish is using bytecode, as people say, JavaScript
> code from
> web pages doesn't have to be compiled somehow? How do we do that?
> What about the JavaScript objects that are created using the
> JavaScriptAPI?
> How does SquirrelFish handle these objects?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, i'd recommend you look at the
initial blog post at
http://webkit.org/blog/189/announcing-squirrelfish/ .  But whether we
use bytecode,
native code, or an AST interpreter is secondary to the internal
representation of object.
The implementation of objects can be seen in JavaScriptCore/runtime/
JSObject.{h,cpp}
and you an see that there's no dependency on JavaScriptCore's
execution engine.

--Oliver