[webkit-dev] Sparkle Self-Update Framework

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Jan 1 07:14:48 PST 2009

On Dec 31, 2008, at 10:22 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:

> Checking for updates as part of the WebKit Launcher (the application
> which is what you run when you double-click on a nightly build) w/o
> slowing down startup or modifying Safari.app is non-trivial.  All the
> WebKit Launcher really does is set the DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH correctly
> to the included frameworks and then calls exec() pointing to your
> installed Safari.app executable.  You'd have to spawn a separate
> updater process or keep the Launcher running after spawning Safari.app
> in order to to the update check.
>
> Patches are certainly welcome.

Actually, I'd like to ask that WebKitLauncher *not* be modified in
this way. WebKit developers and testers often use the archive of
WebKit nightlies to narrow down where regressions occurred, and making
the nightly launcher automatically update would defeat this important
purpose.

I continue to recommend NightShift for those who would like auto-
updating of WebKit nightly builds.

Regards,
Maciej